Sunday, May 30, 2010

3 down. What's next?

Three competitions are over. Silver for iTEX competition, "zero egg" for Imagine Cup competition, and gold for NRIC competition. Ya, I'd never tell you guys about my system right? Our system has two different names which are Police Report Imaging System (PRIS) and Hiding Criminal Information System (HCIS). Even though it has two different names, but the contents, interfaces, coding and so on are exactly same. It was my supervisor's idea to give a different name. And now I'd realised I shouldn't made it so.


Actually three people are developing this system. I'm the one who started it first and the only representative who present in all three system, the other two teammates, Yen and Quenny can't make it as they needed to attend the Infosys program at Sarawak. What a pity.. Yen was responsible for XML, list view display and SMS parts, while Quenny was responsible for database, documents upload and display, and documents phone captured parts. The rest including those troublesome documentations, interfaces design, novel algorithm, buttons function, authentication and so on were handled by myself. And I'd never forget the other two special "teammates", Lei and Hebe who accompanied me all the way in Imagine Cup and NRIC competitions. Thanks girls!


What is our system about? Yes, it is specially designed for police use. As the title of the system's name, it is used to handle criminal reports. Main function is used to hide Top Secret underneath the criminal images. PRIS or HCIS is the only system developed in Malaysia as I found no similar existing system in Malaysia (perhaps for the whole world).


Too bad I got nothing (except friendship and experiences) in Imagine Cup competition. I know the reason of losing in Imagine Cup. I didn't hit the 8 Millennium Development Goals. I've tried, been tried very hard tried to link my final year project (the novel algorithm) to develop a system that hit the 8 goals! But still, it dint really hit. I was very frustrated. I was the FIRST GROUP to present in Imagine Cup! How "lucky" I was! Recalled back, one of the person in charge, the Chinese guy (forgot his name, just remembered his name is something Jie) blamed us that we late for the presentation! In fact, first, we went to the place by the bus provided. Second, it is actually still early for the time of presentation. Third, he has no right to blaming us in that kind of manner! Luckily his friend who stand beside him helped us to explain to him that it was the bus problem. Gosh!


I really hate the time constraint in Imagine Cup! Competitors actually given maximum twelve minutes to present. I had fully prepared, been practiced more than 5 times for presentation in ten minutes before I go for real presentation. But guess what? I was such a failure! I did not manage to present all the speech that I had prepared for the real presentation. The Judges asked me a lot questions when the time hit 7 minutes, they keep asking asking and asking without letting me to finish my speech! Arggggghhhh!!! Many new functions of our system did not show to Judges. I even has no time to show my secret weapon (the letter written by head of investigation department) to them! You know how hard I got the letter? You know how difficult the process of interviewed the high rank police officer? I will never forget how hard I requested to meet them, or so-called beg them, I was like a beggar begging them for letting me ask few questions, even my teammates scared and stand there to watch.


Whatever, we still won something in other competitions right? I'm really really glad to won a gold medal for NRIC. The first gold for UTHM in NRIC. Thanks iTex, Imagine Cup and NRIC competitions giving me such a great opportunity. Billion thanks to them!





The red oval shows there's only one group who get 80 over 100 marks.





The red circle shows that there's only one group that get gold medal for IT category in NRIC.
Yeah, and guess what? Our team won the only one gold medal for IT category! You know, what a surprise when I heard the MC announced my name as one of the gold medalists! I never expect to get a gold. Actually, my heart was thumping every time when the MC announced for the bronze and silver medalists, but I heard no my name in those medalists. So I'd already gave up to win an award when the MC announced for gold medalists. And I didn't give any attention on the gold medalists until... until I heard "UTHM" and my name from MC! We made it! I made it! :) Credits go to all contributors of our system! Again, THANKS!


Yes, I know I wrote too much... But I still want continue... In iTEX competition, my UTHM PPI person in charge took my silver medal, and my supervisor took the certificate... I attended the judgement day for presentation, but I absent for the result announcement day. So I missed the chance to have a look on our silver medal and the certification! Sobsss... I wanna get back the medal and the certification! But how? That is impossible because UTHM want to keep them... Luckily they don't take my gold medal in NRIC, they just took the significant certification from me. I still have the personal certification on hand. :)




I guess this is the longest post ever. Too bad I didn't meet the important person while I was in NRIC competition. The stupid girl thought she can have some sweet talks face to face. I know I'm no longer important anymore. Maybe, for that person, I actually never been important before. Well, no matter what, Aeris Teoh is still the same Aeris Teoh. It's time to have some REAL REST!:)

7 comments:

Cpei said...

hehe 收割得事后到咯~
great to hear about ur 功绩sss!
add oil o~~

70-620 Questions said...

oh man wake up... the world is going on moon and you are still sleeping..

EeSoon said...

This is a nice post, even though it's long but it contain a lot of joy, happiness, enjoyment and satisfaction. I can feel the joy from ur post!

Congratulation on your winning! I am very happy for you. You put in hard work and as return, you got good results. Congrats again!

Finally it's time to rest huh? haha. Take good care, relax and enjoy your free time.

Love,
EeSoon

Yamin said...

Love your post, sad though for u and your team in imagine cup, bad luck.
U all deserve to get into that final seven, and won award there. Your project is highly innovative and applicable.

But you guys rocks iTex and NRIC! Won medals! Congrats again! Hope you always be happy and successful.

Till next time we meet again!

Aeris said...

Cpei, ya right.. Thanks god He gave me some sweet results. :)

EeSoon, thanks so much! I am very happy as well to have your greeting. :)

Yamin, thanks! I guess you are one of the competitors as well right? Who are you?

Yamin said...

Hahaha.. Im the one that u come to support when I present at NRIC, my friends call me Yamin, hahaha.

Aeris said...

Oh Yamin! Haha.. What a nice name. We'll meet again for APICTA. :)